Boy, my muffin pan is getting a workout over here! I recently discovered the deliciousness that is "egg muffins" and I cannot stop making them.
The beauty of these little guys is that they are great for breakfast or lunch, make an awesome, protein-packed snack, or can even be a filling dinner if you're in a hurry.
And they make 12 - so you're set for the week!
These egg muffins can be easily customized. Vegetarian? That's cool - just leave out the meat. Hate bell peppers? No worries - just sub in your favorite vegetable. I'm constantly coming up with different combinations based on what's hanging around in my fridge.
But this Southwest flavored version is one of my favorites. It comes together easily and makes for a healthy and filling meal or snack. Grab a jar of your favorite salsa and give it a try!
Southwest Egg Muffins
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 c. store-brand salsa
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- baby spinach, handful, chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 c. shredded Mexican cheese
- Extra salsa for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and spray with cooking spray. These egg muffins can really stick, so I spray my liners well. You can also bake without the liners, but scouring that muffin pan can be a real pain.
- Over medium-high heat, combine ground turkey, cumin, and 3/4 c. salsa in a medium saute pan, stirring to crumble the ground meat. Saute until turkey is cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes.
- While turkey is cooking, chop vegetables.
- In your muffin pan, add turkey to the bottom of the liners. Layer vegetables on top of the meat.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together 12 eggs. Pour egg mixture over vegetables, filling almost to the top.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until eggs appear set. Allow to cool for several minutes and then remove from muffin pan. Once the muffins are cool enough to handle it is best to remove the paper liners, as they tend to stick once they cool.
- Serve with your favorite salsa.